March 27, 2009

First Entry

Hello. Welcome.

So.. I wanted to create a blog to track my progress toward (hopefully) a Pixar internship. I've decided that I'm going to apply to the Pixar ART internship (not the graphic art or technical director internships), because I felt like I was more qualified for it. The deadline is April 17th, meaning I have less than 3 weeks to send in my portfolio.

I got a drawing tablet, which I've been playing around with (along with Corel Painter X) all spring break. Here's what I've done this past week:

My mom says Yoda could live there. This was actually done with my mouse, and the first thing I did in Painter.

Obviously it's not finished yet, but it's supposed to be a small psuedo-european town. Corny, I know.

This is when I realized I should try to draw more stylized things, since I think that's what Pixar is looking for. I've been trying to emulate 50s-style drawings since I see it a lot in Pixar concept art. Inspired by my trip to Tahoe. It's
almost finished.

I'm thinking they also want a sense of narrative in some of the drawings.. so I decided to base this one on a true story.

So that's what I have so far. I'm thinking they'll expect to see strong character design, exploration, and process (rather than a bunch of finished projects)... so that's something I need to work on.

1 comment:

  1. omg i'm totally "gelos" as the itanglish speakers of the world would say. With this kind of work you're totally going to get the Pixar dealy while I bum around trying to figure out what to do with myself!

    Also, if your tablet goes missing, I swear I didn't steal it..

    ReplyDelete